Friday, February 1, 2013

A What To Do Post

Sometimes running doesn't always go well for all of us and there will be up and downs in your career. My coach told me that clear back when I was in Junior High that I would have to expect that I'll  at least have one major injury, my races won't always be PRs, and sometimes many negative factors will add up and cause my running to not be go so hot. But if you keep trying and working hard and keep learning, you're a runner for life.



What to do if... you're injured. 
Oh my yikes-ness. Getting the terrible news from your doctor that you can't run for months is the most heartbreaking news. I know.

For me though, it was a good time to rethink my training and take time for myself. I sat and sulked for a week (which my non-runner friends just did not understand, so make sure you always keep in contact with people who do love to run so they kind of can understand your loss!) but got up and put my spoon away from my favorite ice cream and got my nails done and got a hair cut. I didn't have to think about going to afterschool practice anymore, which made me really sad at first, but I came home and got to watch my favorite show I always had to miss out on because I was so busy running all the time. After taking time and relaxing, I thought about how I would train healthier when I came back from my stress fracture.

What to do if... you're getting bored of running.

This hasn't happened to me (knock on wood!), but I know a lot of runner's deal with it. My best advice is to take a few days off. A few days won't hurt your fitness level at all. And remember there are great cross training activities that will keep you in shape such as biking, the elliptical, and swimming. Try different workouts and learn that maybe every couple of weeks to take a few days off for yourself so YOU DON'T GET BURNED OUT.

What to do if.. you're hungry ALL THE TIME.
Hello, we're runners and we need energy from food. I haven't mastered the whole calories in, calories out thing, but maybe it's because my naturally reved metabolism 24/7, who knows. I am always hungry, hungry, hungry. Remember healthy food is fuel. The healthy stuff will keep you full and faster. I stalk up on healthy foods and keep them in the house and remember that food is good for me! Also keep in mind, are you running too much and taking in enough calories? If you are a person who doesn't eat a lot in the first place (like me), maybe you shouldn't be running too many miles.


What to do if.. you're always tired. 
1. You could have an iron deficiency. Especially us girls with our periods and whatnot. TMI. Maybe possibly, but it's the truth! Click here to read more about Iron Deficiency in Female Distance Runners. Ladies, really read it. I think it has great information in it.

2. According to MedicalDaily.com, 1/3 of Americans don't get enough sleep. If you are a runner, work, and have kids, and manage to get 8+ hours of sleep, you're A SUPER HERO! But most of us really can't do that. Try your hardest though.

3. You're overtraining. Take a few days off, eat some good food to get your energy back up, get some rest, ice your legs, and take time for yourself. You'll be back in no time.

4. You aren't eating properly. Are you eating enough? Are you eating too much processed junk? Ask yourself.

None of us are perfect and training will never be perfect and that is perfectly okay. That is the beautiful thing about running- just getting out there and running is a miracle.



Have a wonderful Friday and I'll be back for my usual Friday Finds later :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment