Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Just wow.

Yesterday's Run: 5 miles @ 6:41 pace
This morning's Run: 1 mile warm up (7:30 pace), 4 x 1 mile repeats (first three miles at 6:25 pace, then last mile at 5:50 pace), 1 mile cool down (7:30 pace) Despite getting 5 hours of sleep, I really thought this workout was pretty easy. I was going to do the stair master, but I gave up at 5 minutes. Sometimes that machiene is like death to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------
So for my Comp. Class we are supposed to find sometime inspiring and of course I go straight to one of my favorite running moments:

Shalane Flanagan winning the 10,000 m at the 2008 Olympics. Take a look at her face! What an amazing moment.

So, naturally I then looked up the 10,000 m world record for women--it's been held for a long time by Wang Junxia of China of a time of 29:31.78---isn't that just NUTS?!?! Amazing.

Listen (er, read) to this:
The record Wang is referring to is among the most controversial in athletics history, the 10,000 metres mark of 29min 31.78sec she set in 1993 and her coach Ma Junren claimed was down to a diet of turtle blood and caterpillar fungus.
Since then only Radcliffe has got within 30 seconds of a record cynics claim was more likely the result of a potent mixture of banned performance-enhancing drugs. "That's why I want Paula to break my record, to show that it can be done," says Wang. "I've always believed that the record has never been broken because people do not have the same opportunity that I had."
But success, which included winning the world 3,000m title in Stuttgart in 1993 and setting the world record for that distance, came at a high price.
Wang, dressed fashionably in expensive heels, looks the picture of health but she was forced to retire in 1997 at the age of 23 after a doctor warned that she had pushed herself beyond the limits of physical endurance. "I still suffer from constant headaches because I trained so hard," she reveals.

Diet of turtle blood and caterpillar fungus? Disqusting and interesting and weird and obbessive all at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------
Gotta get back to work!
Click Here for an awesome Brook's Shoe Giveaway!

Do you have a running role model?
Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher. 

What shoes do you train in?

Runners World vs. Running Times?
Runner's World
  



No comments:

Post a Comment