Thursday, January 24, 2013

Being flexible as a runner.

Recommendations about stretching before or after OR both after your run changes from year to year. What do you do?

I personally stretch BOTH times. Just because I feel that it's not going to hurt me any to stretch before hand. I typically do a 1/2 mile warm up, do agilities, and sit down and get a good stretch in before I race at track meets. Sitting down and stretching, I feel, helps me flexibility and sometimes runners aren't most flexible people in the world. Having flexibility as an athlete works wonders.

Athletes are working out almost everyday so they must stretch everyday, in order to keep a leg up on the competition.  Flexibility can occur not just through stretching but also in foam rolling, tennis ball rolling, and body work (massage therapy).  Stretching elongates the muscles making the joints more flexible.  To really breakdown the muscles and build them up stronger and longer than before.  Athletes should be incorporating foam rolling/ tennis ball rolling/ body work into their workout routines. SOURCE

Foam rolling. Ahh, Foam Rolling.

 
Another good idea to stay flexible is yoga. When I have time I'll go to youtube and do 30 minute yoga sessions. You feel so good when you're stretched out! I definitely can feel a different when I'm running.

Taking ice bath loosens up everything too, but you gotta be a little nuts for those ;) I make myself do those... Erg.

-------------------------
Do you foam roll? Do you do Yoga? Anybody have a favorite yoga form to do? 

What was your run today?
-I'm running 2.5 miles at 6:30 pace today with the 1/2 mile blazing speeds. And I will stretch before and after ;)

Has anybody tried Jullian Micheal's Yoga Meltdown?  




No comments:

Post a Comment